ajseth AT ust DOT hk
|Hong Kong University of Science and Technology||MPhil Mechanical Engineering||2018-2020||Hong Kong|
|Manipal Institute of Technology||B.Tech. Aeronautical Engineering||2014-2018||Manipal, Karnataka, India|
|Symbiosis International School||International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme||2011-2013||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
Dajung Kim, Arjit Seth and Rhea P. Liem. “Data-enhanced dynamic flight simulations for flight performance analysis”. Aerospace Science and Technology: 107357, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2022.107357
Arjit Seth and Rhea P. Liem. “Amphibious Aircraft Developments: Computational Studies of Hydrofoil Design for Improvements in Water-Takeoffs”. Aerospace (8), 10, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3390/aerospace8010010
Vinay Madhusudanan, Arjit Seth, G. Sudhakara. Descending Endomorphisms of Groups. (Submitted).
- James M. Shihua, Arjit Seth, Ye Li and Rhea P. Liem. “Experimental and Computational Analyses of Take-off Hydrodynamics of an Amphibian Aircraft Hull”. In: AIAA AVIATION 2020 FORUM. June 2020.
- Arjit Seth and Rhea P. Liem. 2019. “Hydrofoil Conceptual Design and Optimization Framework for Amphibious Aircraft”. In: AIAA AVIATION 2019 FORUM, p. 3552.
- Arjit Seth and Rhea P. Liem. 2018. “Takeoff analysis of amphibious aircraft with implementation of a hydrofoil”. In: Structures18 - The 2018 Structures Congress. Incheon, Korea.
Programming and Software Experience
Languages: Julia, Python, Haskell, C++, Fortran, Lua, Bash, $\LaTeX$
Software: OpenFOAM, MATLAB, ANSYS, CATIA, SolidWorks, AVL, XFOIL, OpenMDAO, ADflow, DAFoam
Research Assistant, Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong.
Duration: Sep. 2020 – Present
Responsible for development to enable instructive computational programming using the Julia language in undergraduate aerospace courses at HKUST. Sponsored by the Teaching and Learning Innovation Projects (TLIP) under the Center for Education Innovation (CEI) at HKUST.
Developments and implementations —
- Geometry engine for common surfaces and bodies used in aerodynamics and aircraft design.
- Aircraft aerodynamic and stability analyses using a vortex lattice method.
- Structural analyses using a beam finite-element method.
- Gradient-based coupled aerostructural analyses using the above methods with automatic differentiation.
- Pluto computational notebooks of aircraft design concepts for classroom instruction.
In progress —
- Mission and performance analyses with flight simulations for generic aircraft configurations.
- Viscous-inviscid interacting boundary layer methods for drag prediction over airfoils.
- Integrated online platform running computational Pluto notebooks for use in collaborative projects.
Research and Development Intern – Aircraft Design Lead. Centre for Avionics, Manipal Academy of Higher Education Manipal, India.
Duration: Aug. 2016 — Dec. 2017
Project: eVTOL-Hybrid Aircraft Design
Responsible for technical design of small unmanned aerial vehicles to match complex requirements for government-funded projects.
Design and production of an autonomous, high-endurance, long-range radio-controlled electric multirotor fixed-wing hybrid aircraft for vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL), and cruise flight.
Retrieval of aircraft data and processing of performance characteristics from automated radio-controlled flights using autopilots such as Pixhawk using MATLAB.
Generation of CAD models using CATIA with CFD and structural analyses using ANSYS tools for prototyping.
Academic Experience and Awards
MPhil Graduate, OCTAD Lab, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong.
Supervisor: Prof. Rhea Liem, Ph.D
Duration: Sep. 2018 – Sep. 2020
- Development of a conceptual design and sizing framework for amphibious aircraft with hydrofoils.
- Development of computational models for water-takeoff analyses with hull resistance.
- Multiphase CFD analyses of hydrofoils with cavitation models for generation of surrogates.
- CFD verification of hull performance parameters against experimental water tank tests.
- Investigation and optimisation of aircraft stability and trim in the water-takeoff regime.
Previously an intern at the OCTAD Lab under HKUST’s International Visiting Internship Student Programme.
Head of Aerodynamics, AeroMIT - Aeromodelling Team, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, India.
Duration: Apr. 2016 — Apr. 2017
SAE Aero Design (Micro Class) competition sponsored by Lockheed Martin: Responsible for design and development of a radio-controlled aircraft that fits into a cylinder of 6 inches in diameter. Scoring is based on maximising payload fraction in flight, minimising cylinder length, and a technical report and presentation.
- Weight estimation, sizing, payload optimisation, performance, stability and structural analyses of aircraft.
- Computational fluid dynamics analyses of high-lift airfoils and wings.
- Preparation of technical design report and presentation.
- Teaching aerodynamics, flight dynamics, aircraft design and CFD to juniors of the team.
- 2018 East: Rank 1 in Design and Rank 3 in Presentation.
- 2017 West: Rank 1 in Highest Payload Lifted, Rank 2 in Highest Payload Fraction, Rank 4 Overall.
- 2016 East: Rank 3 in Highest Payload Lifted, Rank 4 in Highest Payload Fraction, Rank 5 Overall.
Protean UAV Challenge sponsored by TATA Sons GTIO and Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay: Reponsible for development of a multi-rotor aircraft able to switch between quad, hex and octo configurations while midair with stability.
- Mathematical model development to ensure maneuvering stability between configurations using MATLAB and Simulink.
- Computational structural analyses to ensure sufficient rigidity.
Results — 1st prize winner.